Friday, April 10, 2009

Running Across Reminders of the Past

I've been trying to weed through piles of stuff that has collected so that I can throw or organize it.
I ran across a diary of sorts from 1977 when we were in Indiana.  

Jan. 3rd I gave little Aaron his first hair cut.
Jan. 9th was the super bowl so after church that was on T.V. and I wrote that Adam and Heather romped around having fun wrestling together.  They were in 1st and 3rd grades.

Jan. 10th we got a phone call that Grandpa Pick was killed in a car accident and Grandma was in the hospital with several broken bones.  We made the 9 hour trip up there and then back 2 days later. It was a sad time.

The next week there were  school cancelations due to bad weather and then Lee was home sick for 7 days before she could go back to school.
Jan. 27 - on a Thurs. - the kids (and even Leon) were sent home due to a blizzard.
The weather continued to be bad the rest of that week and ALL the NEXT week. 

I also wrote about the gas shortage and how I supposed that church would be cold due to that. As it turned out church was cancelled.   I had forgotten how everyone,  esp. businesses, were supposed to turn their thermostats down because of the gas shortage.   Only those who had electric heat didn't have to worry.  
That was one rough winter.  There were 30 days of constant sub zero temps.  I wrote on Jan. 28th  that the radio (Warsaw station) had all weather and relating reports on.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Thanks for sharing this, even though it was a rough time.

Love you,

Lee