A Little Excitement On Water Street
I looked out the window a little bit ago and saw some firemen. Then I looked up the street toward Stephens Street and there was a fire truck road block right across our street. The firemen were
standing guard and a couple were running but I didn't see any smoke. I looked up in the other direction toward town and there was a car parked in - nose to nose with a police car and another one behind it.
Boy! I thought - We must live in a rough neighborhood! When did THAT happen? While I am mulling that over I remember that it's voting day today and I forgot to go over to the armory and do my civic duty so I got my coat on and headed over there.
On my way a nice firemen told me that someone had been digging (up the street - south of us) and hit a gas line. He said they just turned it off a couple of minutes before - otherwise they would have had me evacuate as they did others down the street.
When I voted and headed back home I was going to cross Stevens Street again and the fireman there said I couldn't go past the truck and since he had a lot of cars to direct I didn't argue that I had just come from that direction... it was around 5:00 - I was glad that I hadn't left anything on the stove to burn and provide the missing smoke! One of the firemen that came from that direction told me it was o.k. to go when he saw that I was just standing there.
A lot of people were outside standing around watching. Who says Platteville is a dull town, a? We get our excitement...but I'm glad that was it - and not a neighborhood blowup of gigantic proportions! Sure wouldn't have wanted to make the national news! - Especially since I wouldn't have been able to see it anyway - from heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment