Friday, February 27, 2009

What Happened When Gert 
'Died'
I've been remembering someone named Gert Behanna who was a  socialite. When I heard her speak it was on a long playing  (33⅓) record  - She  told of a life  many would consider exciting and enviable.  Her father was a wealthy CEO in New York.  She lived in luxury and self indulgence which ended up   nearly destroying her until she came face to face with God.   
The part I am remembering is when
she was in the hospital - (perhaps it was after she tried to commit suicide) - and she told about being above her body looking down at the doctors and nurses working over  her.   She said she then found herself  outside her room - going down  the  hall  where she saw the people at the nurses station... She told how she felt - about coming back to the room where she went back into her  body.  

They told her that she had  died.  She surprised one of the nurses at the nurse station, later, by telling her that she had seen her.  The nurse knew  it was 'impossible'  but that it was true   because she  told  her what she saw her doing.

This  experience eventually drew  her  (Gert) to God.   He was there and she knew it. 
There's a movie made in 1971 of her story called "The Late Liz" played by Ann Bancroft.  I never saw it but would like to.  (Unfortunately it's not on Netflix.)   Her album  was called  "God Isn't Dead".

I've been  thinking  about  how people  have died - leaving the body  for a while and then coming back.   I don't think everyone  is so fortunate  to come  and become a believer ....only those he chooses....for whatever reason.   I know that it wasn't me but Him  that I can thank for knowing beyond a doubt that He is there.  Conjuring up the feeling isn't imvolved.  You  KNOW.
Now.....if we just could stop making mistakes and get rid of that old nature!   Maybe once we leave the body and ...don't come back.   Boy!  I can't wait! ....... But I will.   :-)

3 comments:

Lee said...

Love you Mama. Thanks for sharing this. I hear you on how God has to choose us. I'm so glad his grace chose us! Also interesting about Gert. (I want to go back to your post to check to see what her last name is..but I'm afraid I'll lose what I just wrote...ha.) It makes me want to read or see the movie about her. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We like knowing what is on your mind..even if it is political...ha! Thanks that you are concerned about lots of things and feel compelled to make us think a little.

jp said...

Yeah....sorry about that political stuff. Too bad people don't pay attention to history....It's more popular to rewrite it ....and then (on the other side) not make waves.

Lee said...

Write anything political you want. I'll read it and also consider what you are saying.