Saturday, February 21, 2009

Trying to make him laugh.....
I'm reading a book (one of several called the Mitford series) where the main character is recovering from a stroke and his friends are trying desperately to make him laugh.  One of his friends comes with a bunch of one liners from newspapers which I thought were......... interesting:

Read the Bible, it'll scare the hell out of you.

War Dims Hope for Peace.

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case.

Stolen Painting Found by Tree.

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery;  Hundreds Dead.

Miners Refuse to Work After Death.

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile.    

I don't know if I was desperate for a laugh or what - but it worked for me.    :-)

2 comments:

Lee said...

They were enough to make me chuckle. Specially the graveyard one.

Lee said...

Your getting me interested in finishing the Mitford series. I think Out to Canaan was the last one I read.