Saturday, April 19, 2008

RESPECTFULLY DISAGREEING
We used to go to a church a few years ago that didn't pussy foot around when teaching about the need for salvation. The preacher was fiery and emphatic in presenting his talking points. I agreed with everything he said but there came a point when I almost dreaded going. That feeling became stronger when I was going through some difficult stuff taking care of my mother - who was dealing with Alzheimer's.

I knew I needed to go to church - to fellowship with other believers, hear the word preached, - be refreshed so I could go on - but - I left the services feeling almost beaten up.... worn out! To be fair - I did ask myself if maybe it was because I was under conviction. No. I agreed with everything that was said - just not the way it was said.

However, few years earlier a guest preacher came to our church. He was a friend of our pastor who graduated from the same school. His method of preaching was the same.....only more so. At one point he pranced up and down the isle demonstratively - screaming his message while waving some sort of a flag. I looked down thinking I don't know how much more of this I can take! Then I turned and looked at my small son sitting next to me with his feet barely reaching over the edge of the pew - listening to every word. That was an unusual sight. That boy was active! You had to be good to get his attention. As I looked at him I thought - Well - O.K. ......This preaching isn't just for me.

My point is - there may be some methods of presenting a message that we don't like - whether it be a method of preaching or bumper stickers. (Some people ridicule the signs we occasionally see that have a message to draw people's attention to God. I've seen a LOT of that dislike expressed on blogs.) Frankly - I appreciate them. I like to be reminded - at unexpected moments - that God loves us - or that He is there to call on for help -or that there is an after life. It doesn't hurt for people to see some sign that reminds them (or just plain lets them know for maybe the first time!) that there is an eternal consequence to sin. There are some methods that aren't me - but only those that actually differ with the scriptures are seriously in error. If people are being reached for Christ then the message is being blessed by God.

We eventually quietly left that church...but it is still being blessed. If you drove by the church during a service you'd see that the parking lot was full to the brim! There is a good ministry there and lives are being touched...even though I respectfully disagreed with the method...it is good for others.

We are in a church where we have a good preacher with a come-now-let-us-reason-together method without skirting the subject of salvation. This church is also thriving with sincere believers who hunger - as we should - for the Word and a close relationship to God as we express it through our worship which comes naturally - not just by way of habitual repetition.

I think that when we're not blessed one place (aside from the possibility of being under conviction for something) it might possibly be that God is calling us somewhere else. Some of us wouldn't budge if we were too comfortable. It would be a mistake, however, to jump ship and ignore the life boats...and think we're just going to go the rest of the way swimming. Life can difficult enough without going it alone.

No comments: