Heather
(Alias Feather - as her big sister - age 5 - called her until she got used to her name)
I googled Heather Pick and it brought up a couple of pages. I listened to a radio broadcast (where she was being interviewed) from that google list and a T.V. interview that I had seen before. Interesting. The radio part was new to me.(Alias Feather - as her big sister - age 5 - called her until she got used to her name)
I am remembering when she was a shy preschooler. She didn't like how people used to make a fuss over her - it seemed to embarrass her. She blossomed, though, when she started kindergarten and loved going to school. It's odd remembering one day when I took the car to pick her up from school - when she was 5 - and I was sitting there watching a little girl coming down the sidewalk - in the distance - and thinking what a pretty, well dressed little girl she was and then seeing that it was Heather! I must have really been dreaming not to notice immediately! For a while - Grandma Lee used to send her clothes when the cousins she was raising outgrew them. They were always nice things...and rarely worn... probably because they had so many clothes.
Growing up - Heather never seemed to care what she looked like. As she got a little older she would go to school looking pretty sharp and come home looking like she was (as I used to tell her) dragged through a knot hole backwards - and she seemed to feel pretty comfortable with that. No problem. She was one lovable kid.
She's still lovable. I can see why so many people like her now. She's kind, loving and genuine...not to mention beautiful.
When she was about 7 or 8 she and her oldest younger brother used to have tea parties. I suspect it was any excuse for a snack but it looked like fun.
...just like the memories.
She was a terrific big sister to her youngest baby brother when he was going through the fussy time of the day which was when I needed to fix supper. She'd scoop him up in her arms and walk around the house with him. She seemed to like that almost as much as he did (he adored her) and I didn't know what I would have done without her.
*********************************************************************
I'll probably tell something (here and there) about each one of the Pick kids growing up. - That ought to take up a few posts. Brace yourselves! jkHeather - third born - not sure how you ended up first. :-) Guess I'm just thinking of you a lot today.
1 comment:
I understand why she was first. She's on her minds and hearts all the time now.
We love you dear sister. I love to hear some of those memories of you. Some of them I wasn't there for, so it's good to hear them for the first time.
Thanks Mom for sharing.
Post a Comment