SCIENCE
There are some scientific statements that are proven facts: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" Newton's 3rd law a motion. Or Newton's first law ... Objects at rest - or in uniform motion tend to stay that way unless acted upon by an outside force... the law of inertia. They are not just popularly accepted - they are facts.Then you have those ideas that are being studied. - Those trying to prove them claim that they have some evidence but they aren't proven facts....just theories. But the line between fact and theory has somehow been smudged and blurred and, for reasons unknown, it ends up being treated like a fact.
It seems to work for people when theory is pronounced as true with arrogant authoritarianism using a pinch of attitude (Example:"This is something all 'truly educated' people know") thrown in . Are we really that easily led? Sure we are. It's "nobody wants to be on the outside" on a grander scale.
I don't agonize over how long the world has been in existence. I figure we'll find out eventually.. I also don't bother trying to rewrite the scriptures. If it says it took 6 days ("the evening and the morning" explaining the length of the day) then I'll accept that. Especially since the majority of those saying it was more like billions hold little credence for the Scriptures - which makes their foundation, in my mind, a little shifty.
I admit cringing whenever I hear big boom Darwinian documentaries throwing around billions of years like confetti. There was no death until after the fall of man in the garden which shoots the theory of all those evolutionizing animals which died while evoluting. :-) If someone wants to believe that the Scriptures aren't true then there is no point in arguing it but Christ quoted Scripture repeatedly. That should say something for it's value.
We have been taught it took thousands of years to make petrified wood and fossils. Now we know that is an exaggeration. I have seen a petrified boot and a petrified fence post! ...and haven't we heard something similar about how long it took for coal? Scientists also once believed the earth was flat. (They weren't allowed to read the bible at the time or they would have been clued in from the book of Job.)
The way some science is required to be taught in schools leaves a lot to be desired. Rather than swallow that - I'll just believe unabashedly like a little child the One who holds all the answers (and gave scientists something to do) and take my chances.
No comments:
Post a Comment