Friday, October 12, 2007

"Holidays"

Have you heard about all the companies that are leaving the word Christmas out of their products? They don't want to offend anyone. You'll notice that anyone doesn't include Christians.


I was about to toss a couple of egg cartons today when I happened to look inside the lid of one and noticed something surprising. It had This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 This was in an egg carton! That could actually give someone a lift ! Ahem! :-/ Imagine how many people that will offend!.. This is serious!
(No..I'm not upset – just a little amused.)


Maybe those merchants who are worried about the word
Christmas on their products should have half of them like that and half the other way and see which ones sell the most.

The time of Christmas, unfortunately, has become a merchant's time to celebrate... Easter remains mine.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I agree with you on the materialism of Christmas. I've never really understood it either. I was under the impression that it really is a pagan holiday adopted by Christian's. That's why the put "Christ" in Christmas never made a lot of sense to me. I guess I'm obviously not sure where you stand on that but this link

http://www.sabbatarian.com/Paganism/XmasHistory.html

is some interesting reading.
I have a hard time with the holiday too. I'm trying to reframe as of late to enjoying my family and taking down the frantic and hoarding nature of the holiday, but relatives seem unable to stop spoiling the kids. We'll see.

Molly said...

That link is supposed to have an html on the end, obviously. I'm not trying to wreck Christmas, but it seems it may be more of what we've made it than anything else. And there is value in that, maybe? Who knows. I like seeing family (sometimes:) and traditions for my kids. It's a tough thing, these holidays.

Molly said...

Sorry, I must clarify that I have no affiliation with that site, just came across it when googling "history of Christmas, and thought it might apply. (I'll stop talking now:)

jp said...

Interesting site... I think I've heard that before.

Christmas is fun for kids and I liked buying presents for ours. When I was a kid it was family and food that was emphasized.

I never believed in Santa and I still had fun. Also, I remember my friends talking about how devastated they were when they found out the truth. That little bit of devastation didn't hit me.

Presents weren't a big thing in my home when I was growing up. (Maybe that's why I liked buying our kids presents so much).