How We Think
Here is a quote I came across a while ago– (I forgot the source):
The famous female French artist Élisabeth Vigée-Le Brun writing about the horrors of the French Revolution said she was reminded of a man who said “ I am accused of having stolen the towers of Notre Dame; they are still in their usual place, but I am going away, as I am evidently to blame.”
There are times like this in life. No amount of talking will change some minds. (I'm not referring to anything political.) There are some who have a habit of believing and stating certain things so emphatically that I am always reminded of those postcard size cards that were around when I was a teen that had various sayings on them. One said : My mind is made up. – Don't confuse me with the facts.
Once in a while I will ask one person I know - with whom I consider having an acute form of this affliction - if they had ever met the person for whom they are having nothing good to say ..... (I've got to watch that) and the answer is “No, but I know the type”.
I've come to recognize that the unaware receivers of this ire usually have one thing in common. They have a role of authority somewhere...so the list of people that fit the type category is endless. It has taught me something. - It is not humanly possible to please all people and it is a fact that won't change.
We often gauge how we are doing in our daily lives by how we are thought of by others. That's not a bad thing, really, as long as we keep in mind the One we really need to please. But ordinary life really is like running a race isn't it? - only the race track has a few sharp rocks, boulders, gullies, slime pits, maybe a porcupine or two...? It can get interesting. Good thing God gave us a Map.
3 comments:
Thanks for the comments on my blog. I had noticed the same thing too. That's what I meant when I talked about how similar we were. Both prone to exclaiming "What?" Even when it's on what seems to be opposing sides of the same issue. Isn't it interesting how people can be different and similar at the same time.
Like you mentioned before, it is good to listen, and learn, and that is a lesson that I need. That's why, even though I might not agree always with things on your blog, I still like to "listen" and learn.
Thanks for that. And for the compassion you show as well. It's a good example for those of us on the edge of faith. A good example of what the compassion your faith has to offer.
Also on your post, I might agree that life is like running a race, but there is no winner. We shouldn't consider ourselves competing, just hiking (or running) that boulder filled path with the most love and integrity that we can, regardless of if anyone else is trying to "beat" us or not. Just my two sense. The competition is when we start to think we "know the type" and discount people before we even know them.
For the race - I was thinking more in lines of Hebrews 12:1 or 1 Corin. 9:24. Kind of like keeping ourselves in shape to be ready for the rough places in life. If we don't keep in "shape" those hard places get the best of us.
It's amazing how many times the bible speaks of our lives as running a race. I get the impression that it means we need to compete with ourselves to always improve and keep our eyes on the goal. The race isn't with other Christians or for glory in this life. That would classify as the rocks - or slime pits. :-)
Post a Comment