Monday, September 24, 2007

WHAT?
I was listening to public radio station tonight and heard someone who called in to the program and was talking about our being in the war for oil. Another parrot talking. No understanding, just mimicking. I know there are many in the opposing political party to Bush who know better but they let that go because allowing a frenzy go like that helps come voting time. Didn't help last time but who knows?

I have never in my life seen such ugliness and mindless ranting come out of people's mouths and publications in the political arena as I have in recent years. It is really scary. Differing opinions are O.K. - helpful even, to discuss every angle to come up with the best solutions that we can. But it has gone beyond that to hatred and frankly that's downright idiotic and nowhere near helpful. Reminds me of fanatical football fans - the kind that will start a riot if their team doesn't win!

If someone has a "better plan" than state it but it is useless to resort to an "Ah, your mother wears army boots" mentality - which a few years back was considered and meant as an insult but downright mild compared to what we've heard lately. The point was.... that they ran out of arguments (and answers) so resorted to name calling.

The army boot insult wouldn't work now... with anybody. That was started before women were even considered to be put in battle. That present reality is a step up isn't it? Our esteemed feminist movement can be so proud that they accomplished that among other things. Now we just have little things to deal with like immorality, AIDS, kids with no direction and those fanatical Christians who keep reminding everyone we will need to answer to God for our actions.

Well, we need to keep our priorities straight, right? So the last problem mentioned is being worked on harder than the others. Stamp that out and the others will seem to go away. That has the logic of if you don't want to see the mess - put your eyes out!

The whole political argument thing reminds me of the old T.V. show - Dragnet. In nearly every episode you'd hear Sergeant Friday say while asking questions of a witness who would tend to go off on a tangent.... "The facts, ma'am, just the facts."

5 comments:

Molly said...

Sometimes I read your blog . As I have been reading lately, I have been seeing the things that we do have in common, love for our kids, our family, the community, and our passion. I notice in you, some of the same things I see in myself. Just like there is truth in a lot of what you say, or a lot of what Lucas says, there is also truth in that this was a "War for Oil." It may not be the whole truth but there is some truth in it. There is backing for this. Now some of that may be parroting, but I think a lot of us are guilty of repeating what is told to us. I've read you doing it on your blog, and I am guilty of it as well. Sometimes just because someone has said something before us does not mean it doesn't have value.

I'm not commenting to make you angry or upset. Actually I'm not sure why I'm commenting. Maybe to make a pact with you, if you're interested, (if you're not I'll just try to keep my end of the bargain anyway) I am going to try to see your side of the argument, to realize that you have valid points. Will you try to do the same for the other side?

jp said...

You bet!

Truth is, though, I think you'd have to point out the valid points on the other side. :-) I know that may sound cryptic but I sure don't mean it that way. I will promise to consciously look for those things.

For this war - if oil was on the list of reasons - it sure wasn't the starting point. That was much farther down on the list.

Oil wouldn't be worth a war but safety is. I think a threat to the oil is actually a good thing. It makes us look for other ways to heat and keep things moving. That's something we've needed to do for a long time.

Molly said...

I totally agree. I do understand people like you, even if I don't agree with you, than I understand those who are complacent. Last Sunday in church we spoke of sloth, of the true biblical meaning of sloth. I have a much harder time understanding those who don't care, or think, or have passion, than I do those who have passion on the other side.

On the war. People are dying. Our safety is much more threatened by Iran, or Al Queda (which didn't, or to a minute extent, exist in Iraq prior to the invasion), than by Saddam Hussein, and if we were going in for humanitarian reasons, more people are dying today in Africa, then were threatened in Iraq by Sadam Hussein.

No one claims that the reasons for going to war were non existent, just if they actually outweighed the reasons for not. I think with the lives lost, the children killed and displaced, the money spent, etc. etc. etc. we could have used these resources in a more "Christ like" manner. That is the opinion from this side, and in fact I'd liken to say, from most sides at this point.

War, the loss of life, the killing of innocent, should be the very, very, very, last resort. I think that Jesus would agree. He did not go to war with the Romans, he died for our sins instead. Even though everyone wanted him to overthrow the government, he had a much higher goal than that. That was definitely not the case with this. Bush used a machete (and I would say randomly but you can argue) but a machete none the less, to perform a job that could have been done with a scalpel.

lucaspick said...

I'm glad Jesus WILL make war and destroy and make things right. And o, how righteous will His judgements be. He will punish all nations rightly with a rod of iron. There will be no question of what HE does is not right, because the mouths of the peole will be shut when they are before Him. He will win in the end by destroying the wicked and lifting up the humble. So, I pray, come Lord Jesus and come quick. We dwell in a pond of sin at neck level. Lord Jesus Come.

Politic fact to pray about and not talk about- Men must serve three years, and the women must serve 2 years. They serve together. In the Israeli army, the first two abortions are free. It reminds me of the kings and passing their kids through the fire to Molech so they may prosper. All this for there own well being.

jp said...

Hi Molly,
Good comments. They are well put.

We are all anxious to get our guys out of there as soon as we can and there were mistakes made in spite of what we wanted but that was inevitable considering that we were fighting a different kind of enemy. Our troops have fought valiantly considering what they had to deal with. Unlike the enemy our guys are trained to avoid civilian casualties as much as possible. From the beginning when leaflets were air dropped in Baghdad and other cities to let the citizens know what was going to happen so they could get out and move to safety – to now – it has been the enemy that have randomly killed civilians – not us. For them it was business as usual.

Jesus' mission when he came to die on the cross was Spiritual. When He comes again there will be Armageddon...the war to end all wars.
He also speaks clearly about civil duty. Rom. 13:1-3. That means submitting to decisions that Bush has made as our leader without the gross disrespect we have been seeing.

If insurgents (Muslims fanatics like Al Qaeda) hadn't flooded into Iraq from the outside and the former ruling Baath party (which is 25% of the population) hadn't been sore losers we would have been out of there already! That's what we all hoped for. I personally hate war....it makes me sick. Nobody likes war....not even President Bush. The aim is to help the Iraqis know that we want to help them back on their feet but then leave as soon as possible!