Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Door County Trip
We just got back from a 3 day getaway to Door County. It is a beautiful place to go on vacation! We watched the sunset over the bay Friday night in front of our motel (Ephriam Shores) in Ephriam. It was awesome. As the sun sank into the horizon it looked like a big orange glowing ball melting into a puddle as it touched the water. There were others there watching it as well and when it was over - there was applause!

Earlier that evening we went to a fish boil in Fish Creek. The fish was so good! I would guess that even if you don't like seafood you'd probably like
the taste of that. Impressive stuff.

That fire shows that the meal is done. Isn't that interesting?.......it's the same way at our house!

Saturday morning - back to the pier with a cup of coffee to watch the gulls and ducks bob and dive for food as the sun rose behind us.

For breakfast we went to
Al Johnson's restaurant in Sister's Bay. It has
a grass roof and goats to keep it trimmed. All the waitresses are dressed in Swedish outfits. Nice place - good food.



A trip to Washington Island from Gills Rock was interesting. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to sign up for the trolley car trip around the island. However, we didn't eat earlier so took that time to take care of that instead.

When I went into a shop the owner asked where we were from and I said "Wisconsin" thinking that it was practically a foreign country compared to where I was. Then, of course, I realized that I was still in Wisconsin! The shop keeper said she was born and grew up on Washington Island. It seems like a nice restful place - and beautiful - but to me it would seem strange living somewhere that takes a ferry to get to where the rest of us live. Intriguing.

It was a great trip!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Thanks for your vacation synopsis. Much enjoyed.

We got to see Lucas yesterday. Charity, Bethany, and I brought Jon's mom down to camp to get Ginny's dogs (so Mom S. can have them for the week at her house in Grinnell to give Ginny some rest from them) and Lucas took Charity for a quick tour of the camp. Bethany and I went on the tour too, but it was Charity's first time to see everything. So it was a tour for her benefit. It was nice to see Lucas for a little bit. He looked all happy and healthy.

Love you.