Christians
Over time - reading blogs I've found that there is a certain irritation Christians have with other Christians. That ranges from thinking some mistakenly paint Christianity as always joyful - to those who are obnoxiously critical of other believers that don't "tow the line".
That first one puzzled me. I don't know who they are hanging around (or near enough) to get this impression but the only one's I have heard that might fit that category are people that have Learned to be content - maybe even joyful in suffering - because they - at some point - gave up and took their Lord's hand after realizing that they couldn't do it on their own!
I'm thinking of a young missionary wife from Italy I heard telling about a physical ailment she had that made her life unbearable. The pain she endured kept her awake at night and gradually she began to use that time praying. As time passed she got better and she said she remembered the first night she got a full night's sleep. When she woke up she said she felt disappointed that she missed that night of communing with the Lord. She grew closer to her God during that tough time!
We can have that but most of us (me included) try it our way first....grinding our teeth, bathing in self pity - kicking against the pricks! We really are pretty hard headed! Aren't we? Every time we have something hard to face we know we should trust God but our reaction is usually
"Ya but-"
"I know but.."
Do you suppose it's because when we can't "handle it" we get irritated with those that can because we don't see that it's only because they aren't "handling it" - they've given it over to God and are allowing Him to carry them through the rough stuff?
I know pain. I REALLY know pain. I'm not talking physical (I've thought that I'd trade that pain for physical pain ANY day) I'm talking about things I could do nothing about. It's crippling. It affects everything you do and everyone around you. I know what it is like to feel like a walking zombie. It zaps your strength. This thing was hard to hand over to God. I did send out LOTS of calls for help (petitions to God) but it took a long time for the Trust to kick in.
I'm not particularly brave. I hate pain. I shiver at stuff that may be ahead. For one thing I'm the youngest of 5. If we go "in order" I'm in trouble. I may not see them often but I love my siblings. Then, I worry about my own family (husband and "kids"). After we learned that our daughter's cancer returned I learned raw pain. After all kinds of other prayers, begging, and barginning I even prayed "Take me home - I'm just no good at this!"
But I know He is in charge. Now I feel that if He has more for me to do - I want to be here. You can LEARN trust...you may learn it the hard way but you can learn it.
Now I'm thinking of the 2ND thing I mentioned - Critical Christians.
Some things are petty but that's not the problem. Someone once said that if you allow someone whose actions toward you - irritate you - you have become their slave.
Yep! So the problem isn't theirs - it's ours! We can't control others but we CAN do something about ourselves. None of us want to be any one's slave, right? We can learn from criticism but that thorn in the side doesn't have to stay there! Pull it out and breathe.
4 comments:
That's really interesting, Mom. About someone's irritating actions affecting you so much that you become their slave. I need to gnaw on that one for awhile.
When someone becomes a slave, does that mean like, you get so irritated that you can't function properly do you think?
Ya - I think that's what it is. I only mentioned that because I heard it years ago when I was having trouble dealing with things that I thought were unfair -from other Christians. I remember thinking how ironic that the first difficulty I'd have as a new member of God's family was with Christians! I thought I could expect it from nonbelievers but it caught me off guard to get it from Christians! I can't remember all the specifics and I didn't let on to them - but it was doing a number on me. When I heard that "slave" thing (which was even after we had moved!) I thought Oh boy! That's just what I've become! Their actions have caused me to lose sleep and they are probably sleeping like a baby!"
I realized that I was allowing their thoughtlessness to wreck my life - maybe not outwardly but inside. At one point (the person I'm thinking of) even apologized. Trouble is they didn't stop! Isn't that stupid that I let it get to me like that?!
Anyway, I decided that No way was I going to be their Slave!! So I decided to work on it and with God's help I eventually I got over it. It really did take His strength. Doesn't bother me at all now and I haven't had too much trouble like that since. It helps not to expect too much from people and to be ready to forgive.
We will always run into people that
might cause us to stumble. I figure it's because that is what they are doing themselves. It's the domino effect. :-)
Phooey! I can keep mighty busy trying to make sure I don't cause someone else pain or to stumble!
Post a Comment