Thursday, July 16, 2015

Not Your Average Day

What would you do if you witnessed someone shop lifting?  I had the opportunity to find out, personally,  this morning when we went grocery shopping.  It got me thinking.

To begin with:
There was a woman with two little boys.  The oldest was around 8.  They had nice dreadlocks - sweet as can be but their "mother" was stuffing her purse with merchandise.  At first I thought "it just LOOKS like it".   Then I saw her  do it again.  No question.  This time I kept looking at her so that she would see that I saw what she had done.  She did and just to make sure she knew  - I knew - I just quietly shook my head "no".  She took the things out of her purse.

It bothered me.   No one could tell on the outside - but on the inside I was rattled. I hoped that being seen like that she wouldn't do any more "helping herself"...and that it would have embarrassed her too much to keep it up.  As we were later checking out I stood there wondering - "Should I say anything or  not".  I wanted to "give her a chance" and hoped that embarrassment would humiliate her enough to stop.

While I was mulling that over I saw the kids hastily moving toward the door - until they saw me - and then they turned and hurried back the other way.  Did I mention that they each had something in each hand?  I remember one had Pringles.  (Health food, you understand  :-\  )

That's when I decided I'd better let the check out girl know.  She was between customers and currently stacking shelves.   I just said "Watch out for the black lady - since she's been stuffing her purse".  I hated to do that.  As I thought about it - it was better than what I had considered doing earlier which probably would have been useless.  It was go up to her and ask her why in God's name was she teaching her kids to steal??  Another approach I  considered, at first, was to simply say, quietly, as I walked by....."God is watching you".  You'd be surprised at all the possible scenarios I entertained.  Regardless.....I was a mess inside.  It's not something you see everyday.

It wasn't because she was black that I hesitated - it was because she was human - apparently a mother - and maybe embarrassment would straighten her out!  I'm afraid that was naive of me.  The more I think of it - she was an accomplished (though momentarily careless) thief.  Why do people lower themselves so?  Those poor kids.  They have no chance  unless they are invited to church by caring people.  I pray that will happen.  I may never see her again.  I will not forget her.

No comments: