Memories of Irene
I've been thinking of my mother-in-law lately. Little things like the meals she had when we'd visit. They were always enjoyable and good and I realized the secret of them was merely the variety. Not two kinds of meat or any of the main things but just adding little things. She knew how to make things work. Wise lady.She was a practical woman....something she learned from being the oldest of a large family and marrying a man who would never be rich and - bless him anyway - would sometimes, I was told, drink some of the paycheck before he made it home. She never knew what it was like to have a "life of ease"...but knew how to make do and stretch a dollar.
As far as I know she was never on welfare.
She was one who brought home, to me, the importance of saying "thank you". She would send me $10. for my birthday which I was happy to get. But - I was about 21, and married only about a year, when she happened to mention to my mother that I didn't thank her for it. I have no excuse .....I "just didn't think". It's embarrassing to remember it, now, but I'm glad she did that. At 21 I was an adult but still not "grown up". But - I learned - and it never happened again. It only cost me the price of a stamp and not much time.
I did write her regularly - for years. Later, in more recent years, I encouraged Leon to call his mom regularly. I knew (being a mom) that it would mean a lot to her to hear his voice. So he made a practice of calling her every other week.
He would go upstairs to our bedroom - where it was quiet - to call. Even though he seemed to talk loudly on the phone to men - like his contractors - when he talked to his mom he talked much lower and it was interesting how many times - as time went on - he had to repeat himself. It was obvious that her hearing was going but I think he subconsciously felt it was more respectful to talk softer to his mom. I understand that. Unfortunately, it eventually meant a lot of repeating.
But, now his hearing is going and it's taking me a while to learn to turn up the volume. No more softly speaking to him without having to repeat myself - and forget whispering in church! It's hard to get used to - but it's part of life. The two of us should learn sign language. :-) Who knows? It might be fun....
Leon's mom was here when Andrew was born. She came before and waited with us until he decided to make his appearance and then a little while after. It's a nice memory.
By that time she no longer had Wally, Leon's dad, who had died in a head-on car accident a couple of years before....caused by a 19 year old drunk driver. (So much for drinking - for fun - or even to deal with stress! That young man lost his license, one eye - and another man's life!)
She only made it to Lee's wedding but not the rest of the kids. She dealt with painful arthritis in her back - esp. after the car accident - so traveling was eventually something she avoided.
She's someone who will be missed.
I'm awfully glad she was my kids grandmother.
2 comments:
Thanks for this post, mom. I didnt realize she came when Andy was born. Bet she cleaned house too. Grandma was always a good encourager that way seems like.
I remember trying to get her to not do much of that but she said she had to keep moving or she'd get stiff. There wasn't much I could do about it when I was in the hospital.
At least I had you guys trained to do the dishes. :-D
Post a Comment