Just Another Day
Leon & I went to Walmart today and the check out guy was gloomy. Leon asked him if he was sick and he grumbled something about "Walker" (meaning the governor) Apparently he was unhappy with him. Leon can't let that go so - among other things - he said "I'm 100% for Gov. Walker - We need to cut expenses and he's doing it". Then the guy looked at me and said "He's going to cut out recycling". I said "No - we will still have recycling".... I quickly realized that you can't change someone's mind from the check out line when he has had his mind permeated with misinformation.
It's amazing what people think the government must do for us. As far as unions go - I've thought they've needed a tune up for a looong time. So often what starts out looking like a good thing grows into a power-monster. A lot of well intentioned groups seem to go that route even though maybe they began well.... like the NEA, the AFL-CIO, and others. Odd how the quest for fairness often leads to a form of treachery. There are teachers that don't like the teachers union. Still the teachers union speaks "for all" teachers...and the dues go where the union says - not the individual teachers. I'm not against a teachers union per se but not federal taxes subsidizing them any more than subsidizing the NPR....which was a no brainer.
Freedom of speech is one thing.....Making those who do not agree with a certain stance pay for the attempted proliferation of that stance is quite another. That's another no brainer.
Power is a curious thing. It's fed by the greed of those who have it - and by the complacency of those who don't.
No comments:
Post a Comment