Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas
This is going to be a quiet Christmas this year. We expect Andrew and Ronda on the 23rd - 24th before they head up to her family's. That will be nice. We were with them for Thanksgiving so I'm happy for her mom and dad.
Other than that we don't expect to see any of the others. Colorado and Texas is a bit far to travel but we did see Aaron and family at Thanksgiving and Lucas and Jessica are coming the first week in January.

I'm remembering Christmas past when I was little. One Sunday someone in the church had the bright idea to have Santa visit the church after the program and when it was my turn to tell Santa what I wanted I said I wanted twin dolls! That Christmas someone in the church gave me that very thing! I was SO surprised since I knew there was really no Santa. (I remember that they were the same doll but I could tell them apart and I was just a little disappointed.) It was such a thoughtful gift and I did thank the nice lady...Mom made sure of that. Nothing says non-appreciation or that you've bombed out with a gift - like silence - and I was thankful - (in spite of my quirk about the twins not being exactly identical). That lady was so thoughtful. It impresses me to this day.
We didn't get gifts much for Christmas when we were kids. My folks didn't buy them. Money was tight. That could be why I decided it wouldn't be that way when I had kids. Kids adjust - but sometimes it could be embarrassing at school when the teacher would have us get up to tell what we got for Christmas.
Leon's family had presents when they were growing up and they may have been harder up than we were. Not all things appreciated are expensive...but choosing them may take more thought. That's probably why there's that saying - "It's the thought that counts."
In Herrin, I remember sometimes getting a present from a sibling.. One year from Erv - who had a paper route or some other job... another year from Mark - who also worked, and then another year from Murrie & Cliff not long after they were married......maybe even the next year! Not bad - considering that was in my first 8 years! I may not have otherwise had the "loot" that other kids got but Christmas was always pleasant with a real tree/ lights/decorations and food.... and firm knowledge as to why we were celebrating. Some people don't know or think about the "why" part. That's kind of like getting a huge beautifully wrapped present in a big box and opening it up and finding it empty. They may not know it but they really end up having nothing.


No comments: