Friday, July 02, 2010

Dealing With Stuff
Mistakes can be SO valuable if a person doesn't let them turn into a club and beat themselves over the head with it. In some ways I have become a lot more relaxed about some errors I make.
Like learning to do something new...... or experimenting to learn.
I may have mentioned here that I made a sock that turned out HUGE and took the whole thing out and redid it.... without gritting my teeth. I have taken miles of yarn out of socks to redo them and I've learned not to chastise myself - I just consider it a lesson.

I'm trying to apply that to the area of dealing with people. That's a little harder - since people are different than socks.

I knew someone years ago in a little church we attended. We were both in the mid 20's. I was married - she wasn't - but I thought we could be friends. She on the other hand was stand offish. Finally I decided to use the "biblical principal" of going to her and asking her if I had offended her because if so I wanted to apologize. Oh no - she said - I hadn't done anything to offend her.
Oh good! I thought and figured that things would change - but they didn't. That gave me a different outlook on "going to the brother" to work things out. One can try but if the problem persists because the other person refuses to cooperate - then all you can do is wash your hands of it. Clean hands you may have but not a solved problem. (Later it became clear that for some idiotic reason she was suffering from jealousy. What a waste.)

Now I'm inclined to think there's no point in asking someone if you have offended them. They would probably just deny it. Waste of time. I don't know.... is that heresy? Maybe so.
Maybe it's the offended person who is the one that is supposed to go to the offender? Whew! I think so. I'm off the hook! Wait a minute....maybe not.
Oh brother! I'm going to bed.

No comments: