Knuckle Heads!
I get exasperated when I hear some news discussions. There was one about a mother who set up a scenario for her 5 year old son to be "arrested" and put in handcuffs and spoken sternly to by a police officer to help drive home a point. His mother tried multiple methods to get him to stop playing with matches and lighters (setting books, etc. on fire) and nothing worked so she went this (granted unusual) route. She was desperate to reach him!
The discussion on Fox news had a professional young woman ranting that it was humiliating and abusive for this poor little guy. For the other side of this argument they had a man who exclaimed he couldn't believe he was hearing how they (interviewer and the "poor little guy was abused" woman) were talking! I agreed with him.
This pretend "arrest" happened after about 12 houses in the neighborhood had been set on fire by children playing with matches and lighters and after the mother repeatedly told her little guy "No" to no avail. Mom tried everything else: - timeout, taking away toys, talking to him, etc. (I would have added a good spanking.)
Speaking of the woman with the "it's abuse" rant - she'd apparently have to live a little longer to find out that there actually are some children with whom you have to use a different method. They may even have high IQs - but what good would that do them if they accidentally kill themselves before they grow up?
There was a woman bystander at the "arrest" who wept - when telling about it - because the little boy was hanging his little head and crying. O.K folks. Let's all base everything we do on emotion - and accept the danger to the houses and children - rather than use memorable discipline.
The important thing is that the method worked! It made a lasting impression on him. I figure it was no worse than a bad dream from which you wake up and are so glad it was just a dream and that you actually have a second chance to do it right!
When you love a kid and want him to learn a vital lesson it sometimes takes desperate measures! It's WORTH IT!
Sigh ...... O.K. ... I feel better now.
I am glad that disciplining my own kids is all behind me.
No comments:
Post a Comment