Thursday, February 25, 2010

Googling the Duggers
I learned (from someone on Facebook) about a Dugger family recipe for laundry detergent. I have yet to try it - but plan to. I just googled them and to my surprise they have a HUGE family. They keep a blog with food recipes as well as detergent. Very interesting. There are pictures of their home. Impressive place. While I looked I noticed that all the girls had long hair and ankle length skirts. That gave me a concerned feeling that they were some Mormon cult but as it turns out they are Baptists. They live in Arkansas.

I sat there looking at their pictures - both admiring them and getting a bad taste in my mouth and wondered why. Prejudice. We get that way for whatever reasons and my reasons are based on my experience with legalism. Truth is the long hair and skirts are biblically sound and considering how the fashion is nowadays - showing more skin than is "ladylike" (Yup, the word's still in the dictionary) I realized that even Christians can be swayed in how they think by what they see ..... say....on T.V. and in the movies. I admit I get a bad taste in my mouth by that too. Why do I think there must me a happy medium? - Because I've been somehow affected by the today's media, too, and didn't even realize it! Shame on me! Besides - those long skirts are more comfortable than long pants. The fact that they've been worn by nomads (both men and women) in the deserts for centuries should tell us something!

The Dugger family - They're interesting people who place value on interesting things!
http://www.duggarfamily.com/


No comments: