Monday, July 06, 2009

Caffeine =  Friend

My first reaction was that it didn't work on my mom and then I remembered that a few years before she was diagnosed with it she stopped drinking caffeinated coffee.  That meant that dad must have too.  She would tend to drink too much so she just stopped drinking it altogether - and went to decaf - instead of just cutting back on the amount. 

Apparently now researchers say that  3 large cups of coffee a day can slow and even reverse the condition of Alzheimer's.  What a neat way to "doctor" oneself!   I think I'll go give my brain a healthy spike!   

10 comments:

Lee said...

How large? :)

Lee said...

Referring to coffee cup of course. :)

jp said...

I think they mean a mug instead of a regular "coffee cup"... but that's only a guess. Of course, they have BIG mugs too. I'm not sure I could handle those :-)

jp said...

I know a pair of elderly twins that lived into their 90's. One got Alzheimer's and the other one didn't. I'd like to find out if the one that didn't -drank coffee. The daughter of the one that had it lives across the street from us. Next time I see her I'll ask if she knows about the coffee drinking habits (if any) of her mom and aunt. (I THINK they were identical)

Lee said...

I was just wondering how much liberty we had here...:)

jp said...

Liberty?

Lee said...

How much can we drink without it getting to be dangerous. :)

jp said...

They said 3 large cups = the caffeine the mice were getting in their water.

I wouldn't want more than that because caffeine can give you a sort of "high" (energy & better outlook) and with a high comes the eventual inevitable "low". They aren't worth it.

jp said...

Caffeine amt is adjusted for our size - not the mice.

Lee said...

:) Yes, I know what you mean by the highs. I've had a few (highs) today...thankfully the house is benefiting from them....esp. since company will be here this weekend. But I try not to overload on the stuff. Usually two cups a day, if not one is all I drink.