Today's Musings
I was recently told that once when I was about 4 years old my not-yet-brother-in-law suddenly yelled at me as I approached the street in front of my Grandma Lee's house over on 2nd Street.The purpose for his sudden outburst was to stop me from getting pancaked or take a deadly - entirely involuntary flying trip - by being hit by the oncoming car I neglected to notice. He said my response was to bawl - not because I realized that I nearly had my life cut short but because he yelled at me! That's a kid for you. BTW: I stopped instantly - The tears came next.
Kids live in a world of their own because they lack experience. Experience is a brutal teacher.
I prefer "happily ever after" - but that's in the land of make believe and - we can't live there.
Still - I've been sitting in the back screened-in porch where it's relatively peaceful and contemplating real life versus make believe - leaning heavily, wistfully, toward make believe (I'm just having one of those days) when suddenly there was a racket coming from the front of the house - on the sidewalk by the street. A man was shouting profanity - repeating the "f" word so often I (half heartedly) considered suggesting to him that his command of the English language seemed seriously limited....when I noticed that he was walking down the street - alone. (WHO was he talking to?!!)
I changed my mind. Maybe the land of make believe isn't all that blissful.
Hey! We DO get a happily ever after!... We may have to wait for it but it's coming - so we have something to look forward to. Besides, life can be pretty good. After all - it is a gift...and in spite of occasional off days - there is a LOT to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment