Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Divorce In The Church
Some time ago I heard a survey that there were (on the average) more divorced people in the church than in the general public. I don't know who did that survey but I will take it at face value.

Soon after hearing that I looked around our church one Sunday and counted several divorced people. That was surprising since in the former church we attended there were no divorced people. (It was a small church.) That survey might cause some married people who don't attend church to stay away if they didn't take something important into account.


Many people - when something causes to them pain - turn to God. It should be no surprise. God takes us as we are when we come to Him. Divorce could be the painful 2x4 being whacked over the head that wakes some of us up. For others it might be something else. For me it was God's conviction pressing on me so hard that I couldn't squirm away. I'm so glad He didn't give up on me! I sure couldn't blame Him if He had. But for believers - it isn't what we are before we come to Christ. Church people are all just sinners - saved by grace.

4 comments:

lucaspick said...

It is an overall result of poor Church discipline, and a lack of exhortation from the words of Christ.

jp said...

There may be that but my point was... many of them are divorced before they come to Christ.

lucaspick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lucaspick said...

Even, there are many "Christians" who get divorced. Keep in mind, many of America's professing Christians do not care what Christ has said because Christ is not their master. The unpopular truth is that their is no middle ground. "A person can only have one master."

I fear that a majority of American's professing Christians are going to hell, because "a good tree bears good fruit, and a bad tree bears bad fruit." and "wide is the way that leads to destruction and many pass through it, but narrow is the way which leads to life, and few find it."

Who is it that follows Christ? The person who thinks he is ok with God because they compare themselves with the World? Or, the person who looks at himself in the light of God's word, realizes that he is a wretched of a man (the only truth), and continues in faith following Christ's word?