I remember noticing that esp. with a couple of the boys. I thought.... Yeah, they're ready to have their own families and make their own decisions/mistakes. In a way I thought that was nature's way to make a mom look forward to it as much as them. :-) It only helped for a little while.
Well, for some of mine it has been a while since they left home and I'm learning new things that I need to get used to. My initial education on the subject was my own experience of leaving home. So...I remember how important it is to get out on your own and start your own family. Then that family becomes most important in your life - from then on....It's no longer, quite as much, the one you came from.
But now I'm at the next cross roads and to my surprise it is a LOT more daunting.
I vacillate between enjoying freedom to wondering why the kids don't look back as much as I wish/thought they would. To be fair -I think occasionally some of them do. But, this Christmas was hard because not only was it the first Christmas without any of the kids here (but 1 briefly)at home but when the married ones were here a week and a half before - it was somehow different. Leon noticed it too. They all seemed to enjoy each other's company – which was gratifying. I had the distinct feeling, however, that - had I disappeared - it would go unnoticed. I was the hostess – the facilitator of the gathering but – a caterer could have done the same thing.
This is the house that housed those kids and I can still hear their voices from the past. Funny how time carries - like sound. Sometimes I think I could manage the feeling of personal invisibility - then again – it has taken me by surprise!
Do I sound whinny? Probably.
I'm O.K., though.
I've learned that life throws curves.....all the time. If it didn't come from unexpected places we'd have this life all figured out and we probably would find ourselves feeling too self sufficient. That could be deadly...in the spiritual sense.
I love my family more than life itself. I used to evaluate myself as a mother when the kids were little and I always came up with the same conclusion. No one could love them more than I do! Maybe I should have measured my "mom qualification" a different way....asked myself a different question?
Well, our married kids , God bless them, have moved on. It is pointless to sit around missing them. We really can turn lemons into lemonade and it can be pretty good stuff...but one has to be willing to make it.
My mom used to tell me When you feel down - do something for someone else. She knew what she was talking about. She made lots of lemonade. I wonder if we all (her 5) knew where she got
some of those lemons? I hope so. She was a great mom...and deserves to be remembered that way.
2 comments:
jp
as a mother I really feel for you. I can't imagine the day my kids will be more home away from me than with me, but isn't that the goal. The fact that they've made good lives means you've done a good job, and I only know some of your kids but I know they are good people. Actually as I say that I hope my boys grow up to be a lot like Aaron or Adam, or what I know of them. My heart breaks for you though, knowing some day my own heart will yearn for what once was. Man, being a mom is the best and worst job. So many lessons in letting go.
Thanks Molly...I appreciate that.
It's just one of life's boot camp experiences. It happens...but you pick yourself up and move on....Maybe muttering a little... but move'n on :-)
Post a Comment