Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Obedience, Fear and Submission

I cringe to think that I gave up praying for anyone's salvation because I thought that they will never change. Why do I think I need to see answers to my prayers like that or I'll give up? Whether I see results or not isn't important! I just need to be obedient!

Chuck Colson, in his book The Body, told of several Christians who put in years of labor before they saw any results - some not even seeing that because it happened after they died. He used the term - siren call of success - and suggested that sometimes maybe it is God's divine intention that we don't see the results of our efforts. We're His instruments but He is the hand that holds us. He is the one that saves.

In other ways obedience can be daunting but what does anyone need to fear by obedience to the One who created the world and actually has told us that he loves us and has proven it? I guess fear comes when we take our eyes off Him....just like Peter in the walking on the water episode. Ya, we're often just a bunch of Peters...but look at what he accomplished when he obeyed!

I've been guilty of praying about something and actually having the audacity to suggest how to answer my prayer! Well, I've learned. God is trustworthy. He knows what is best.

No comments: