Changes
We have cable now and I'm being re-educated on the slant of the different news channels. CNN was my favorite until I started getting frustrated because they seemed to leave me with so many questions. (It needed a segment called "the rest of the story".) Along came FOX. There may be some balance with the other once good news channels but not much. No getting around it....MSNBC is for the hard core liberals... the others are not too far behind.
I miss the old days when the networks just had news and let the people make up their own minds. ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. When we lived in Indiana their news times were staggered so I was able to watch all three networks half hour news.
.
Years ago I registered as an Independent. But, I learned that independents get multitudes of phone calls from both parties and pollsters. They usually called around supper time. When we moved back to WI I changed that registration. I decided that only people who don't mind being inundated with surveys would announce that they could vote either party...at least once they learn what happens as a result.
Things that happen change us and the way we think.
Once upon a time I thought abortion was acceptable. The ground work for that opinion was what also eventually fueled the women's lib movement. Men seemed to get off with a wink where women were held accountable...and in case of unwed pregnancy.. were "left holding the bag".
Well, I grew up. Two wrongs don't make a right. Society took the wrong turn - at every cross road! Trying to right a wrong took an ugly turn.
The liberal party had it's problems with racism since they held back the blacks from integration and having voting rights for 100 years after the civil war.
http://gopcapitalist.tripod.com/democratrecord.html
JFK, of all people, worked on getting the blacks voting rights. (At least that is how I remember it...I should look it up and refresh my memory) Ike started it by beginning the integration of the schools. Working on integration and voting rights was brilliant of JFK - even if it was ironic and self serving. Now most of blacks, I'm afraid, don't even remember which party was holding them back and fought tooth and nail to keep the blacks as 2nd class citizens!
Times change. In recent years liberals have called conservatives racist when they simply disagree with any policy! That name calling is SO backward and almost laughable. Calling someone racist is now used as a tool against the very party that abhorred it! Curiously, people feel they can get away with it. Too many have forgotten the history.
Years ago there was a commercial sized clip on T.V. showing a young black man and a narrator saying "A mind is a terrible thing to waste". That made a big impression! Just look at all the brilliant black people we have now! It was as if our country finally discovered gold in our midst.
My mom said that it never even occurred to her to discriminate against blacks.... ...We saw it in southern IL where our town didn't allow blacks there after dark. Even as a youngster I thought that law was weird.
Some changes are good. Some are so bad they're scary. Time marches on.....but, where are we going!
No comments:
Post a Comment