Thursday, July 22, 2010

It Happened Again!
Several years ago while I was mowing my mom's lawn I stepped on a pocket under the lawn that broke through and my foot quickly sank down until my knee caught on the sod. I didn't feel the bottom! After calling the city and they opened it up we saw boulders and no danger of actually "falling in". The city guys filled it in and that was that.

Day before yesterday Leon and I went over there to measure up for possibly putting a hedge back along the sidewalk where one had been before we took it out (shown on an earlier blog). I noticed a sunken place near that earlier sink hole spot. Leon called the city to ask if there might have been a mine there.

Today they called us. This (below) is what they found. This hole is 12 to 15 feet deep! There is a shelf of sod at least a foot all the way around this hole.

When my folks moved here there was a big pine tree on the corner lawn space several feet from this hole. A neighbor said, back then, that he noticed over the years it tilted more and more toward the corner as it grew.

It's been suggested that it is the opening of a former cistern. There was a house on that lot before the present one was built in the 1920s. That house was closer to the street and I was told that my other grandparents lived in that house for a while. That house might explain if there was a cistern in this spot.

Now I'm wondering - what's under the rest of that corner lawn area....
?

No comments: