Monday, October 05, 2009

Life
Remember being a kid and your parents weren't letting you get your way and maybe you thought they were mean so you'd think of some painless way to initiate your demise and think
THEN they'll miss me and feel bad! I remember childish thinking like that. Not often - but once or twice. Of course - it obviously didn't stay. I probably fell asleep or had something to eat which may have been the cause of the problem in the first place.

We grow out of thinking like that for the most part. For one thing we know that if that would happen we wouldn't be around to know "they" felt bad for treating us poorly so we'd lose out on that marvelous satisfaction.

I'm a gifted individual - but I'm gifted in all the wrong things. I can procrastinate masterfully. I am incredibly impatient (wanting things solved yesterday) and I'm a champ at feeling sorry for myself. I'm also good at making some poor judgments - such as having a fudgecicle for the first meal of the day - in mid afternoon.
There's a movie starring Woody Allen where he arrives home all excited
after a run-in with a tough guy and breathlessly describes how he had hit the bully in the fist with his stomach and clobbered the guy's knee with his chin. It IS good idea to think positive if you can. I try.

I can go through quite a lot before I start thinking -
Well - maybe God is trying to tell me something. Maybe my expectations are reasonable but I'm supposed to go in some other direction and this is the only way to get my attention.

There's a certain feeling of freedom in realizing that, accepting it, and moving on. Even the yucky stuff is useful - if we're wise. Didn't they use to burn buffalo chips for fuel on the prairies? Necessity is the mother of invention ... in all kinds of circumstances.
People use another word for buffalo chips to describe how things are going but things improve when we see how to turn it into something useful.

No comments: