Monday, April 27, 2009

Light Bulbs
We hear so much about how great those new light bulbs are.  Our renter even put them in all the light sockets in the house on 2nd St....She was required to - by the powers that be - meaning the place  she gets assistance from - for the rent.  (I don't know if that is county, state or federal.)  

I recently heard that when these bulbs break ( since they contain mercury)  you are not to sweep them up or vacuum them or touch any of it without disposable  latex gloves.  You are supposed to use a piece of cardboard  to scoop it up ......( you probably should wear a mask.)  and put the stuff in a glass jar to get rid of it.  If you get it on your clothes you are not to wash them but  instead -  throw the clothes away. 
This is "Green"?   
Our renter has three small children.  I shudder to think of any of the bulbs breaking.  Now I'm wondering how great the bulbs  really are.  I bet some of the people that have "no more coal" signs in their yards have bulbs like this in their homes.  
We really are strange creatures.   I guess we're determined to live "green" -  or/and  die trying.

2 comments:

Jon said...

As Kermit the Frog says,

"It's not easy, being green..."

I can't believe they are making your renter change to those lights! It's ironic that in order to be "green" you are required to use the "newest technology."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268747,00.html

Jon

jp said...

I think they bought them for her - she just had to put them in. It may save her money on her light bill if none of them break but I'm just betting that no one told her the consequences of one of them breaking. I'd better not get started on the "lunacy" of that.
:-)