A Smidgen of History
My parents and older siblings lived in a little town in Illinois for about 9 years. Also living there was a retired Presbyterian missionary to China - Dr. Miller (in his 90's) and his wife. They attended the same church since my family was also Presbyterian. Dr Miller told my parents about some missionary friends who served with them in China - whose son started a new magazine that he thought my parents should take. The son's name was Henry Luce and the magazine was Time! That magazine was always in our home when I was growing up. It was one of my favorite periodicals - though I can't say that today.Dr. Miller's son, on the other hand, (as a point of interest), lived with the Rockefeller family for a while. I don't know if it could be said that he was an au pair, but it had something to do with an educational influence for their children. One of the Rockefeller children was Nelson Rockefeller, the second of the 5 famous Rockefeller sons. He was to become the future governor of New York, and later, Vice President during Gerald Ford's presidency.
The young Miller became a pilot during WWI (an Ace). After the war he became a test pilot while attending Harvard medical school. He was getting medical training to return to China as a missionary but he died when test piloting.
John D. Rockefeller, grandfather to Nelson, had been raised a strict Baptist. I just ran across some quotes of his and one that I thought was good: Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient become independent of it. That should be what all people, who are receivers of charity, (welfare) want to attain - but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case. To be fair - I imagine fear plays a part in that for some. For others it would be laziness? The thought that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well - is pretty foreign thinking to some and replaced by if you can get out of a job - why do it? I guess I'm deviating from the original subject here so I'll quit.
No comments:
Post a Comment