Lee
It seemed appropriate to name our first born after both of us....the official beginning (after our marriage) of our family. So we named her Lee. I often called her Leecifer (lovingly) because she looked like an angel but her curiosity got her into many things...like eating a whole bottle of chewable vitamins...which only caused her problems the next day. They said she looked like the Gerber baby on those baby food jars. She did. So - maybe I'm prejudice - but she was adorable.
It was fun getting the hang of being a parent. However, when she was a toddler - at times - when something upset her, she would cry so hard without taking a breath that she'd nearly pass out. Scary sight for a parent. Her eyes would be - unseeingly open - then she'd sort of collapse against which ever one of us by that time was holding her. It got so that once she started to cry hard I'd get nervous and say to her - breathe, breathe!
That didn't last too long. I only remember because it was traumatic. She was over it by the time she was 3.
I remember the first time we put her in her own bedroom after her brother was born. It was nap time. (Yes they took naps like clock work....Time for me to recharge.)
I can still see her sitting in that big double bed the first time - age 3 or 4. She was so pleased to look at her room. Before I left the room she asked me to open the closet doors so she could look at her clothes hanging in there. I looked over my shoulder at her as I left the room - she looked SO proud.
As a little tyke she loved shoes. Many times I'd find that all my shoes in the closet had disappeared - then I'd find Lee in the living room with them all lined up on the hearth.
We lived in Indiana for a year when Lee was in 6th grade. Friendly, likable and pretty - this was the first time she got a phone call from a boy. After she answered the phone her eyes got really big and she looked at me in disbelief and mouthed (no sound) It's a boy!! He was from our church. She was so nervous. She handled it pretty well in spite of being briefly paralyzed by surprise. :-) A couple of times I think I remember her looking at me beseechingly as if to ask What do I talk about? or What do I say?
She later had other boyfriends but even though they were nice they just got better as time went on - which accounts for the one she married - who I do believe - surpassed them all.
That's our Lee. Beautiful and blessed with good taste.
It was fun getting the hang of being a parent. However, when she was a toddler - at times - when something upset her, she would cry so hard without taking a breath that she'd nearly pass out. Scary sight for a parent. Her eyes would be - unseeingly open - then she'd sort of collapse against which ever one of us by that time was holding her. It got so that once she started to cry hard I'd get nervous and say to her - breathe, breathe!
That didn't last too long. I only remember because it was traumatic. She was over it by the time she was 3.
I remember the first time we put her in her own bedroom after her brother was born. It was nap time. (Yes they took naps like clock work....Time for me to recharge.)
I can still see her sitting in that big double bed the first time - age 3 or 4. She was so pleased to look at her room. Before I left the room she asked me to open the closet doors so she could look at her clothes hanging in there. I looked over my shoulder at her as I left the room - she looked SO proud.
As a little tyke she loved shoes. Many times I'd find that all my shoes in the closet had disappeared - then I'd find Lee in the living room with them all lined up on the hearth.
We lived in Indiana for a year when Lee was in 6th grade. Friendly, likable and pretty - this was the first time she got a phone call from a boy. After she answered the phone her eyes got really big and she looked at me in disbelief and mouthed (no sound) It's a boy!! He was from our church. She was so nervous. She handled it pretty well in spite of being briefly paralyzed by surprise. :-) A couple of times I think I remember her looking at me beseechingly as if to ask What do I talk about? or What do I say?
She later had other boyfriends but even though they were nice they just got better as time went on - which accounts for the one she married - who I do believe - surpassed them all.
That's our Lee. Beautiful and blessed with good taste.
4 comments:
Oh, these stories are so FUN! I can't wait until you get to Aaron. I am running out of things to pick on him about. I need some new material :)
Hey Mom,
Have I ever thanked you and Dad for doing such a good job with your children? Every day, I benefit from the good upbringing you gave to Lee.
If I have never said it, let me say it now--Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
--Jon
Cherity - Think of all the neat stories you will have of your boys when you're where I am now! :-)Even now, I love hearing when you tell about stuff Owen and Seb have done.
I love your sense of humor. :-)
Jon -
That comment was such a nice Mother's(and Father's)Day present.
Thank you! Having a comment like that is like getting paid for something you'd do for free because you enjoy it so much. Does that make sense? Of course, we had pretty good material to work with, too! :-)
Thanks to the both of you for everything!
And yes, he does surpass them all, hands down.
Post a Comment