Heading For the Canyon
Some of us leave this life in the blink of an eye - some a bit longer. We were told that my Dad had cancer with a week to live. (He lived 2 1/2 weeks. ) Last August Pat L. found out she had cancer and nobody knew she only had 5 months left. (Both these people were believers.) Some are more fortunate and live for years. We are always hearing about 100 year old folks. We don't know what time we have.
The vital thing is that we all know that this life is temporary and that there is something else next - whether we want to think about it or not.
For every thing God tells us - the world has a big Lie to counter it! Doesn't matter what it is.
For instance - if there is a trip one must take at night and someone gives directions : "Go 5 miles that way and you'll be at your destination". Maybe that part is accurate but they didn't bother to tell them that 4 miles up the way there is a canyon - straight down and a mile wide! They didn't give the directions to a bridge to get safely across. That would be a dumb thing to do but the choice had been , instead, to convince people that there is no canyon. There is one - it's the huge gap between us and God. Jesus is the bridge.
I backed out of our driveway a few years ago when they were working on our street. The street was all gravel and the manhole was exposed with the lid off. I backed out - my usual careful self - and I backed a wheel right into that manhole! Fortunately I was able to get out of it (heart pounding wildly) but it hit me then that I sincerely thought I had a clear path out of our driveway onto the road! Didn't matter how sincere I was because it wasn't the Truth.
One hundred years from now we will all know the Truth. Until then there are still the pretenders heading for the canyon....believing it's not there. It's O.K. to "stop and smell the roses "- they are beautiful and God made them for us to enjoy - but we better know where we are going. If we really believe (know where that holy bridge is) we will make sure others know, too.
Can't take anything for granted. I've read Matt. 7:21-23 too many times to believe that. It's about some people who think they are going to heaven...but aren't. We need to make sure!
Funerals make me think. Pat was so beautiful and so loved. It was estimated that over a thousand people were at the visitation. Why was she taken and I'm still here? She was a nurse - she could affect the lives of more people than I ever could.
We just don't know what God's purpose is sometimes. That's where trust comes in.
No comments:
Post a Comment